Congratulations to Revd. Diane Ryan
Six new priests and 11 new deacons have been ordained in services held at Sheffield Cathedral this weekend.
The service for 11 deacons took place on Sunday (2 July) at 10.30am when they were ordained by the Bishop of Doncaster, the Rt Revd Peter Burrows in front of a packed Cathedral.
Church of England candidates who are called to ordained ministry are presented to their bishop at this time of the year at special services. For their first year following the ordinations, the candidates are known as deacons. They will serve in parishes around the Diocese of Sheffield for 12 months before being presented again for ordination to the priesthood in 2018.
The full list of deacons is as follows:
- Susan Bedford (SSM) – to serve at St George, Doncaster Minster.
- Joy Elizabeth French – to serve at St John the Baptist, Owlerton.
- Christopher Herbert (SSM) – to serve at St Helen, Burghwallis and St Mary Magdalene, Campsall.
- Jacqueline Mary Shore Jones (SSM) – to serve at St Peter, Warmsworth.
- Michael Gordon Parnell (SSM) – to serve at St James, Doncaster.
- Diane Therese Hazel Ryan – to serve at Great Snaith Team Ministry.
- Susan Gerrie Sturgeon (SSM) – to serve at St John the Evangelist, Abbeydale and Holy Trinity, Millhouses.
- William Huw Thomas (SSM) – to serve at Christ Church, Pitsmoor.
- Caitlin Elizabeth Thomson – to serve at St Francis of Assisi, West Bessacarr.
- Christopher Edward David Tufnell – to serve at Christ Church, Fulwood.
- Dagmar Veronica Wilkinson – to serve at Aston cum Aughton with Swallownest and Ulley Team Ministry.
Over the weekend, six people who were made deacons in 2016 were also ordained as priests. These have now served for one year in parishes throughout the diocese. The services were carried out by the Bishop of Doncaster and the Bishop of Beverley, Glyn Webster.
All of the services included readings, hymns and music to reflect the joy and solemnity of the occasion. They were joined by family, friends and representatives of the congregations in which they will serve.